The Colts could be in the market for a free agent cornerback, and Adam Jones is one of the most accomplished corners available.
Colts general manager Chris Ballard’s comments during his NFL Combine press conference made it sound like he wasn’t totally committed to re-signing Rashaan Melvin this offseason. If that comes to pass, Indianapolis will likely need to add a cornerback or two in free agency.
Adam Jones has had a checkered history off-the-field, but there is no doubt that he’s been a high-level cornerback when he’s been on the field. He’s been a Pro Bowler as recently as 2015, but his play has been in decline over the past two seasons.
One of the reasons for Jones’ struggles last year was a sports hernia injury that needed season-ending surgery to repair. He should be back for OTA’s, but the 34 year-old cornerback may be on his last legs.
Jones sounds like a similar player to Vontae Davis. They’ve both played at a Pro Bowl level recently, but groin injuries have slowed them down late in their career.
Considering Chris Ballard cut Vontae Davis last season, I don’t think he’ll give much thought to signing Adam Jones.
Here are some other possible free agent targets for the Colts this offseason:
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen