Prince Amukamara is a proven veteran cornerback who could come in and improve this Colts pass defense right away.
With Rashaan Melvin’s contract situation still up in the air, the Colts may need to add a cornerback or two in free agency this offseason. Luckily, there are some solid players available at that position and one of them is Prince Amukamara.
Prince Amukamara is probably never going to make a Pro Bowl, but he’s one of the most consistent cornerbacks in the NFL when he’s been able to stay healthy.
He’s not a big playmaker with only 7 career interceptions and just 13 pass breakups over the past two seasons, but he keeps his man in front of him and rarely gets beat deep. A cornerback with Amukamara’s skillset could be a very valuable addition to the Colts’ secondary.
However, Amukamara hasn’t played a full 16-game season since 2013, and Colts fans saw how important durability is last year after seeing many of their key defensive backs suffer season-ending injuries.
I like Amukamara as a player, but this is a strong free agent class at cornerback and I think his durability is too big of a question mark for Chris Ballard to spend much money on him.
Here are some other possible free agent targets for the Colts this offseason:
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen