2018 Colts Possible Free Agent Targets: Cornerback Brent Grimes
Brent Grimes is still playing at a high level at age 34 years old, and he could be a good fit for the Colts on a short-term deal in free agency.
Colts general manager Chris Ballard made some comments during his press conference at the NFL Combine that made Rashaan Melvin’s future in Indianapolis sound iffy. If the Colts are unable to re-sign Melvin in free agency, they could be in the market for a free agent this offseason.
One strategy for Chris Ballard would be to pick up an established veteran in free agency and draft a cornerback or two to develop under that veteran.
If the Colts decide to go with that strategy, they should take a look at bringing in four-time Pro Bowler Brent Grimes.
Grimes is 34 years old, but he arguably had the best season of his career in 2016 with a career-high 24 pass breakups and 4 interceptions and he followed that up with a very solid year in 2017 with 3 interceptions and 11 pass breakups in 13 games.
Grimes would be a great addition on the field, and he could be even more valuable off-the-field by providing some leadership for the Colts’ group of young defensive backs.
Next: 3 Best Contracts on the Colts Roster
Here are some other possible free agent targets for the Colts this offseason:
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen