The Colts could be looking for a free agent running back after moving on from Frank Gore, and Carlos Hyde is one of the best backs on the open market.
The Colts’ backfield will look different next season without Frank Gore, and we don’t know what the new coaching staff thinks of second-year running back Marlon Mack.
What we do know is that Frank Reich likes to use a running back by committee philosophy in his offenses, so the Colts will likely add a tailback or two this offseason.
Carlos Hyde may be the most talented free agent running back, and the 49ers will likely be moving on from him.
Hyde rushed for nearly 1,000 yards last season and 8 touchdowns, but a terrible offensive line held him to 3.9 yards per carry. He had a stronger year in 2016 with 988 yards rushing at 4.6 yards per carry with 9 total touchdowns.
With a strong running back class in this year’s draft, I would probably add a mid-round running back or two instead of signing Hyde to a contract as a free agent. Hyde is a talented back, but I don’t think he fits well in the Colts’ future plans.
Here are some other possible free agent targets for the Colts this offseason:
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen