The Colts’ backfield is looking thin heading into the offseason, and Rex Burkhead is a free agent that could add a dynamic element to this group of running backs.
With Frank Gore’s departure, the Colts will be leaning on second-year running back Marlon Mack much more next season. However, Indianapolis doesn’t have much depth behind him on the current roster, and Frank Reich likes to use multiple running backs in his offensive system.
Rex Burkhead can do just about everything you need a running back to do in today’s NFL. He’s a solid pass-catcher (30 receptions for 254 yards and 3 touchdowns last season), he can run both outside and inside the tackles (264 yards rushing with 5 touchdowns last season), and he knows what he’s doing in pass protection.
Marlon Mack is definitely the running back of the future, but bringing in a veteran like Burkhead to give Mack a breather and add another weapon to the offense would be incredibly valuable.
I don’t expect Burkhead’s price tag to be too expensive this offseason, so Chris Ballard should consider bringing him in on a one or two-year deal.
Here are some other possible free agent targets for the Colts this offseason:
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen