2018 Colts Possible Free Agent Targets: Running Back DeMarco Murray
The Titans have recently released DeMarco Murray. Would he be a solid veteran option to pair with Marlon Mack in the Colts’ backfield?
Frank Gore will be moving on from Indianapolis this offseason, which leaves a veteran void at running back for the Colts.
Marlon Mack will assuredly get more touches in his second NFL season, but there is not much depth behind him on the roster and Frank Reich has a history of using a running back by committee strategy in his offenses.
DeMarco Murray has the best pedigree of any free agent running back on the market with three Pro Bowl appearances and an All-Pro team, but he just turned 30 years old and he’s coming off of a terrible season.
Murray was held to 3.6 yards per carry last year, which is his lowest total since his one season in Philadelphia that ended up being a disaster. Murray rebounded from that year with the Eagles to rush for 1,287 yards and score 12 touchdowns with Tennessee in 2016.
Unfortunately, I think Murray has taken too much of a beating during his career to bounce back to a Pro Bowl level, and the Colts would be better served to look elsewhere for a running back.
Next: A History of Colts Running Backs Drafted in the First Round
Here are some other possible free agent targets for the Colts this offseason:
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen