The Colts will be in the market for acquiring wide receiver talent this offseason, and adding a slot receiver like Taylor Gabriel would help that deficiency.
Although general manager Chris Ballard likes the development of Chester Rogers, he acknowledged that the Colts need to improve at the wide receiver position this offseason during his press conference at the NFL Combine.
As the roster currently stands Chester Rogers would be the starting slot receiver. While he does have some talent, Rogers is extremely unproven with just 557 career receiving yards over two seasons.
Taylor Gabriel is a free agent wide receiver who has been extremely productive in the slot during his time with the Falcons. His breakout year came in 2016 where he gained 579 yards receiving and 6 touchdowns as Atlanta nearly took home the Lombardi Trophy.
Unfortunately, Gabriel took a step back in 2017 along with the rest of the Falcons’ offense. I don’t expect the market for the 27-year-old to get too crazy in free agency, and the Colts could really use his speed and quickness in their receiving corps.
There are probably better wide receivers available this offseason, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if Chris Ballard signed Taylor Gabriel to a team-friendly contract.
Here are some other possible free agent targets for the Colts this offseason:
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen