Demario Davis is coming off of a very solid season with the Jets, and he may be a solution to the Colts problems at inside linebacker.
Many NFL analysts thought the Jets were tanking heading into 2017 as they got rid of many of their veterans and replaced them with players that nobody knew.
The Jets surprised everybody by being competitive all year long and finishing 5-11. The emergence of linebacker Demario Davis was a large reason for New York’s relative success last season.
Davis had played at a below-average level for the first five seasons of his career, but he emerged as an elite linebacker in 2017. He was a fearsome run defender and he held his own in pass coverage, which is more than you could say about any of the Colts inside linebackers last season.
If Indianapolis lets Jon Bostic walk in free agency, Chris Ballard is looking at a complete rebuild at the inside linebacker position. Antonio Morrison is definitely not the answer, and Anthony Walker did not look impressive as a rookie.
There are some solid inside linebacker options available in free agency, and there are a few intriguing prospects in the draft who could come in and play at a high level right away. I could see the Colts bringing in four or five new inside linebackers this offseason, and Demario Davis may be one of them.
Here are some other possible free agent targets for the Colts this offseason:
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen