Colts DE Chris McCain Charged with Assaulting Woman
New Colts defensive end Chris McCain has found himself in some legal trouble as he’s been charged with two counts of battery.
The Colts signed defensive end Chris McCain about a month ago to add another dynamic player to their group of pass rushers.
The Chargers had originally planned to re-sign McCain as a restricted free agent this offseason, but they surprisingly rescinded their offer despite McCain having the best season of his career last year in Los Angeles.
That rescinded offer from the Chargers is starting to make more sense as reports have come out that McCain has been charged with two counts of battery, and his former team was aware of it.
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen
According to the Indianapolis Star, McCain is accused of grabbing the neck of Arpi Davtyan and then spitting on her during an incident back in January.
McCain came out and denied the charges immediately saying, “She is lying.”
McCain went on to say he had no knowledge of the incident, he has never heard of the woman that is accusing him, and he hasn’t heard anything from the authorities. “No one has contacted me about anything,” he said. “No cops, no one. No one has talked to me.”
The Colts have been fairly quiet regarding the situation outside of releasing this statement:
"“We’re aware of this evening’s reports regarding Chris McCain and are gathering all available information. We take these matters very seriously and we will provide updates as appropriate.”"
This situation is incredibly confusing considering the Chargers were aware of this allegation months ago and even referred it to the league office.
It is unclear whether the Colts knew anything about the situation before they signed McCain to a one-year deal with $750,000 on May 8.
This incident will probably turn into a “he said, she said” situation as both parties insist that they are right with totally opposite stories.
Next: Colts: ESPN Projects Indianapolis’ Win Total for 2018 Season
It’s impossible to speculate what will happen next after these charges have become public, but we will be keeping a close eye on this story as it continues to develop.