Indianapolis Colts 2018 Mock Draft 2.0
In our second mock draft of the offseason, the Colts stand pat with the number three overall pick and address one of the biggest needs on their roster.
1. Cleveland Browns: Quarterback Sam Darnold
The Browns have passed up quarterbacks with a high draft pick before, but I don’t think they’ll make that mistake again with some new leadership in the front office. Seeing a quarterback taken with the first pick should make Colts fans rejoice as it leaves talent at other positions on the board.
2. New York Giants: Running Back Saquon Barkley
I think selecting a quarterback for the future would be the smartest move for the Giants’ organization right now, but they may be thinking they have one more chance of winning big with Eli Manning. They haven’t had any sort of running game since Tiki Barber retired, and Saquon Barkley could change that right away.
3. Indianapolis Colts: Linebacker Roquan Smith
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen
If the first two picks fall the way they do in this mock draft, many people would expect the Colts to pull the trigger on defensive end Bradley Chubb. However, I don’t think finding a pass rusher should be a top priority for Chris Ballard this offseason.
If Indianapolis doesn’t re-sign Jon Bostic, and they don’t find one in free agency, the Colts will not have a starting-caliber inside linebacker on their roster.
Roquan Smith was probably the best linebacker in college football last season, and he may be able to come in and lead a defense right away like Reuben Foster did in San Francisco as a rookie. Inside linebacker has been a devalued position in today’s NFL, but all of the league’s top defenses have an elite linebacker and this is Indianapolis’ chance to get one of their own.
Next: 5 Potential Targets if the Colts Trade Down in the NFL Draft