In a surprising move, the Colts called in four quarterbacks to work out for them as they consider adding another QB to the roster.
According to a report from Aaron Wilson the Colts worked out Matt Barkley, Matt McGloin, Josh Johnson, and Connor Shaw ahead of this week’s trip to Houston to take on the Texans.
This move may be a response to Andrew Luck’s setback as it looks like the Colts’ franchise quarterback will likely be shut down for the entirety of the 2017 season.
Jacoby Brissett has been getting pounded by opposing defensive lines week in and week out, and Indianapolis’ front office would like to upgrade their backup quarterback situation in an attempt to avoid starting Scott Tolzien for another game this season.
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen
Colin Kaepernick was not invited for the workout, but that actually makes sense given the situation at hand in Indianapolis. While he has definitely proven to be better than each of these quarterbacks, the Colts will continue to ride with Brissett as the starter so bringing in a QB of Kaepernick’s caliber isn’t necessary.
It’s entirely possible that the Colts take a look at these four quarterbacks and decide not to sign any of them, but the fact that they are considering making a move at the position reveals their hand a bit.
If they do end up signing one this week, you can expect the Colts to move Andrew Luck off of the active roster to open up a spot for one of these quarterbacks.