Robert Mathis: ‘I’ll Be Back By Training Camp’
As many Colts fans painfully remember, early last year pass-rusher Robert Mathis ruptured his achilles tendon, brutally ending his season before it started. Mathis had been eager to make some noise in 2014 after coming off of a career year in 2013 that saw him tally a league-leading 19.5 sacks that would put him in the discussion for the NFL’s defensive player of the year award.
More from Horseshoe Heroes
- Colts explored hiring former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky
- When is the NFL Combine 2023? NFL Combine schedule, events, how to stream
- Latest NFL mock draft has Colts trading up to No. 1 for star QB
- Eagles offensive free agents that could follow Shane Steichen to Colts
- Here’s why Colts linebacker Shaq Leonard is going to love Shane Steichen
Instead, he was forced to watch his teammates from the bench through the entirety of the season.
There has been much speculation surrounding Mathis’s return to the field for the 2015 season and when asked when he anticipates to be ready to go Mathis responded by saying that he’ll “be ready by training camp,” per Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star.
This is great news for Colts fans as the return of Mathis, as well as key additions throughout the offseason, help beef up the defensive unit of this Colts team.
Questions do arise however as to whether or not Mathis will be able to play at such a high level that he has been known for considering the injury suffered at his given age. If he can stay healthy and show that he still has a lot left in the tank, expect Mathis to be a part of what could be a scary good Colts defensive unit in 2015.