Now that the preseason is officially over, it’s time for one of the most brutal parts of the NFL calendar. Teams must cut their offseason roster of 90 players down to just 53 for the regular season. That means a ton of players will soon be without a spot in the league. Some players will be claimed by other teams, and others will be signed to practice squads, but for many, they’ll be left looking for an opportunity.
Teams must have their 53-man roster set by Tuesday, August 29 at 4 p.m. ET. Aside from cutting the roster down, Tuesday is also a big day for the Indianapolis Colts, because it’s the reported deadline that the team has given Jonathan Taylor to find a trade. It’s unclear what exactly will happen with Taylor on Tuesday. The Colts could take the best offer available or keep Taylor.
If Indy keeps the running back, they will have to make a major decision about his health status. With Taylor currently on the PUP list, Indy could activate him and add him to the 53-man roster, or leave him on PUP, which means he has to miss at least the first four weeks.
These are all decisions Indy must make in the coming days, along with cutting a ton of players. Here’s a look at the players that won’t be making Indianapolis’ initial 53-man roster.
Colts roster cuts 2023
Released players will immediately become free agents but waived players will go through waivers and can be claimed by other teams before becoming a free agent.
• Kenyan Drake, Running back
• Teez Tabor, Safety
• Breshad Perriman, Wide receiver
• Ronnie Harrison, Safety
• James Washington, Wide receiver
• Dan Skipper, Offensive lineman
• Al-Quadin Muhammad, Defensive end
• Juwann Winfree, Wide Receiver
• Vyncint Smith, Wide receiver
• Pharaoh Brown, Tight end
• Tyler Adams, Wide receiver
• Kody Case, Wide receiver
• Emil Ekiyor, Guard
• Nick Eubanks, Tight end
• Lucas Havrisik, Kicker
• Michael Jacobson, Tight end
• Matthew Vanderslice, Tackle
• Mike Strachan, Wide receiver
• DJ Montgomery, Wide receiver
• Donavan Mutin, Linebacker
• Caleb Sampson, Defensive tackle
• Liam Anderson, Linebacker
• Jake Funk, Running back
• Darius Rush, Cornerback
• Henry Black, Safety
• Marcel Dabo, Safety
• Jason Huntley, Running back
• Khalid Kareem, Defensive end
• Amari Rodgers, Wide receiver
• Dakoda Shepley, Offensive lineman
• Isaac Taylor-Stuart, Cornerback
• Kevin Toliver, Cornerback
*This list will be continually updated*