The Colts showed last season they need depth at two positions: linebacker and defensive back. This is why I really like Jordyn Brooks out of Texas Tech in the 4th round. He’s a tackler and not a pass coverage player, but he also played outside in high school before moving to the inside in college. I look at him as a hybrid player who can play inside and outside if needed. He reminds me a lot of Darius Leonard. He’s fast, he can tackle well, and blitz the quarterback.
In 2019, he was top 5 in run defense with a 91.5 grade and was third-best in missed tackle percentage at only 9.4%. While only playing 9 coverage snaps – again, his strength is run defense not pass coverage. Brooks would be a huge addition to the Colts defense and help the defense against the run.
- Strength is no problem for this young man
- Explosive speed and pursuit
- Not afraid to square up against an offensive lineman
- leans into his tackles and stuffs running backs
- Fast north and south but slow in pass coverage east and west
- Has trouble playing outside the tackles