The Colts are just about done practicing for the week, getting ready for the Steelers. The sad truth is that many of the team’s starters didn’t practice much, if at all, this week, due to injuries. Real or imagined (remember how Peyton Manning used to be listed as questionable every week?), the team is banged up. Here are Thursday’s notes …
- Free-spirited punter Pat McAfee was named the team’s emergency backup QB, just as he was in 2010. Nobody noticed last season, but does it really seem that far-fetched to imagine McAfee taking some snaps in a real game?
- Ernie Sims has been ruled out for the Steelers game.
- RB Darren Evans was officially signed to the practice squad. He had been cut from the active roster earlier in the week.
- Not practicing on Thursday were Manning, Sims, Gary Brackett, Melvin Bullitt, Jacob Tamme, Fili Moala, Ryan Diem, and Dwight Freeney. Brackett, Bullitt, and Diem are all suspect in their availability for Sunday.
- Dallas Clark was limited in practice by a foot injury.
- After a limited practice on Wednesday, QB Kerry Collins was back at full strength. It appears that his balky right shoulder won’t keep him out of the Pittsburgh contest.
- Also practicing all-out were Brody Eldridge, Robert Mathis, Blair White, and Eric Foster.