Colts training camp finally opened for real on Monday, with players milling about the complex at Anderson University and at least sort of practicing. Not everyone we wanted to see was on hand, and a bunch of guys couldn’t get on the field for one reason or another, but at least the Horseshoes are in the fire again. Here are a few notes from the big day.
- Curtis “Goldilocks” Painter is the man in charge of the offense. Reggie Wayne, for one, is excited.
- None of the Colts free agent signees are eligible to practice until Thursday, so many big names were standing around today: Peyton Manning, Ryan Diem, Eric Foster, Kyle DeVan, Nate Davis, Joseph Addai, Al Afalava, Darry Beckwith, Antonio Johnson, Dan Orlovsky, Michael Toudouze, Adam Vinatieri and Melvin Bullitt.
- Manning, despite being 35, is just a PUP. Also Physically Unable to Perform is WR Blair White, apparently the first injury casualty of camp.
- “Physically Unable to Perform” is quite a demoralizing label to slap on a young man. Seriously.
- OT Charlie Johnson defected to the Vikings. Somewhere, Manning groaned.
- Anthony Castonzo cemented his status as a mythical figure. Days after Manning got his Colts-friendly deal done, the team’s first-rounder continues to hold out for more guaranteed years on his own contract. Guess we know Castonzo’s not a quick study.
Compared to the flurry of roster moves last week and the position battles to come, yesterday was pretty light. Enjoy the breather while you can.